Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Keep and Stay Organized

Growing up in a small apartment, I didn't have the luxury of throwing my clothes

everywhere or allowing things to pile up. Instead, I had to train myself to carefully

fold my clothes or hang them up. This also translated to all other aspects of my

lifestyle. Whether it was in the tiny kitchen or closets, all we possessed had to be

put in its place.

When I went off to college, the need and trend continued. Again, I was forced to

make concessions. I shared a place with two other guys and was forced to store

everything I owned in my bedroom. I devised spaces for all my supplies and became

adept at organizing.

When I graduated and got my own apartment, it became easier. Eventually I

married and bought a house. My wife was happy I was so neat and so was I. I

opened up an advertising agency and learned to set up simple filing systems to

track my accounts. Later, when I worked for a large company, I established a similar

method of keeping each customer's documents easily available. Today, my world is

pretty much the same. Even the garage is clean and every tool is hung up and

placed in a practical area.

Being organized makes for a richer life. That's because it not only keeps

harmony within the family living there, but makes chores like cleaning, a snap. By

having all one's clothes always stored or hung in the same place, it lets anyone do

the laundry and put it away. The same is true for the kitchen appliances, cookware,

dishes, and the pantry. Both spouses can find what they need quickly and efficiently.

Move to the home office, where the bill paying is accomplished. If both know

where the tax records, insurance papers, and alike are kept, either can do the

paperwork required. We use a metal filing cabinet in the garage for the less used

papers like the house deeds and car titles. But you get the picture. By putting

everything back where it belongs, hours of searching and frustration can be

avoided, but you have to have a plan.

It can work like this: if you're a couple, start by agreeing where everything will

go. Set up a filing system that works and stick with it. If you both abide by the rules,

it can work. Then, as the children grow old enough, teach them the system. My

daughter is out on her own and loves being organized, which she learned from me.

Give it a try, and trust me. Being able to find things at a moments notice will

make your life happier and easier. Now file this article under, "S" for a smart idea.








Jeffrey Hauser was a sales consultant for the Bell System Yellow Pages for nearly 25 years. He graduated from Pratt Institute with a BFA in Advertising and has a Master's Degree from Monmouth University. He had his own advertising agency in Scottsdale, Arizona and ran a consulting and design firm, ABC Advertising. He has authored 6 books and a novel, "Pursuit of the Phoenix," available at amazon.com. His latest book is, "Inside the Yellow Pages." Currently, he is the Marketing Director for thenurseschoice.com, a Health Information and Doctor Referral site.

No comments:

Post a Comment