Friday, December 7, 2012

The Work At Home Lifestyle - A Word About Why

It's more possible than ever to make the leap from an office job to "work at home," and this site is not just about work at home opportunities; it is about US, the real people who make up the "work at home network" on the internet.

This series of articles will focus on the reasons we work at home, the challenges we face, and things that enhance the work at home lifestyle. I've discovered so many things that help me work online and enjoy a professional office at home, and many of them are for pure enjoyment. That's why I work at home in the first place!

For example, I got up this morning, had coffe with my husband and chatted until about 9:00, then I washed the dishes, got dressed, threw a load of laundry in the wash... and settled down to check email about 10:00 am. That's what I call a great morning, and a perfect schedule for me. Your hours may be different - if you're a morning person, you'll probably get started hours ahead of me, and you'll be finished long before I start my "night shift."

I prefer a quick once-over in the morning, then a long, long break all afternoon. My kids homeschool, and that's when we do their lessons. They're not morning people, either! For a few hours after they finish, we play with our exotic parrots, the kids ride four-wheelers in the country around our campground, and I often spend the quiet time in the afternoon reading, researching, or watching a movie. At night... that's when I set the world on fire at my "home office."

Being able to schedule my work around my "peak times" and "bad mornings" is my favorite thing about working at home, but other parts of it are very important to me, too.

One of the best things is working with a laptop. I can take it anywhere - and I do. We're at our winter home right now, on beautiful Lake Bruin in Louisiana, and when the weather is nice, I just take the laptop outside, wi-fi button turned on, and I work on my creative ideas while I watch the clouds drift over the lake. The sound of wind chimes is soothing in the background, and those are the times when I think, "This is the life!"

Other times, the phone rings, it's someone with a big ad agency that I am dying to get together with, and the dog starts barking, the parrots begin to riot, and the kids come crashing into the room arguing... and those are times when I think, "I wish I were at the office!" But truth be told... I'll never go back. Even with the challenges of working from home, it's well worth it.

There are just a few things I would strongly recommend to anyone just getting started with a home office:

If at all possible, a separate room or area of the house that can be a "quiet place" for your phone calls
A combo scanner/fax/copier to take care of all of your office communications
A good, fast internet connection
A comfortable, truly ergonomic computer chair
A desk that is comfortable and has storage space, made for computer use
I can't emphasize enough - be good to your body when you work at home! Take care when selecting your chair, and don't forget about comfort. You'll be spending a lot of hours there.With just the most basic office set up, you can accomplish anything, but from the very beginning, you're going to have to draw some lines in the sand. If you want to work at home to enhance your life - don't forget to enhance your life! Here are a few guidelines below, to help you balance work and family life. You MUST separate the two, at least a little.Set a schedule for yourself, and stick to it. You won't make any more money by working 12 hours a day than you will working 6 hours - if you stay focused and don't allow distractions during your "work day."
Set limits with spouse and children. Work time is work time. When you're working, let your family know that you expect them to honor your time and space.
It's perfectly okay to schedule your work around your family's demands - and often necessary - but do be sure to have some structure, and let everyone know when you expect to be undisturbed.
Treat your work space as separate from your home. Even if you don't have an "office," create an area that is ONLY for work-related items. It's hard to focus on your goals when there is a dirty laundry basket or car parts on your desk!
If you can't afford a separate phone line, coach your spouse and kids about how to answer to the phone professionally, and create a professional answering machine message.That's just the tip of the iceberg about HOW to work at home, and future articles will cover where to get office supplies, how to work from home in rural areas, great services available to small, small businesses, and much more.

For now, just create your own world wherever you can. Get started - that's the important thing. The rest is a matter of taste and lifestyle - and it's a work-at-home lifestyle that is uniquely yours!

Your Work at Home Coach,

Anne Pierson

Learn-to-work-at-home.com [learn-to-work-at-home.com]








Anne Pierson is a work-at-home coach and host of a social community for those who work from home, or just want to! Her site offers a free course on making money online, a free member forum, articles, tips, resources, and a step-by-step guide for getting started with your own online business - with no investment. The site is absolutely, 100% free, all products and affiliate programs are member reviewed or endorsed by personal experience. The site offers a free monthly newsletter, and requires no commitment to any programs. It is a simple-to-use resource for those who want the freedom of a home business, and shows you how to get started - with or without a web site. Become a member at no charge by visiting the web site. [learn-to-work-at-home.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment